Skip to main content

My FCS Top 25 Vote, Week 4: 9/28/2015

If you'd like, you can check out my FCS Top 25 vote below.

I don't ordinarily do do two things with my poll that I actually did this week:

1. I usually don't demote a team completely out of the Top 25 if they're a Top 5 team and they lose.

2. I usually don't demote a team from the No. 1 slot if they win their game.

But that's exactly what I did, after I looked at my poll with a fresh new set of eyes after some of the more interesting outcomes from the weekend.

I'd been meaning to demote Villanova for some time, not only due to their sort-of lackluster performance over the beginning of the season, but for their seemingly lackluster play going back to last season when Sam Houston upset them in the FCS Round of 8 last season.  I was looking for a dominant performance against the worst team on their schedule, Penn, and instead the Quakers upset the Wildcats 24-13.

You could argue that they were getting things done with defense.  You could have said that with the loss of their Walter Payton Award-nominated quaterback, QB John Robertson, they'd suffer.  But the team that lost this past Thursday, simply, wasn't a Top 25 team in my opinion.  The confluence of all these factors had me dip them out of the Top 25 entirely.


1: James Madison Dukes
2: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
3: Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
4: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
5: Illinois State Redbirds
6: North Dakota State Bison
7: Northern Iowa Panthers
8: Eastern Washington Eagles
9: Fordham Rams
10: Chattanooga Mocs
11: William & Mary Tribe
12: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
13: Liberty Flames
14: Portland State Vikings
15: Montana Grizzlies
16: Harvard Crimson
17: Indiana State Sycamores
18: Dartmouth Big Green
19: Sam Houston State Bearkats
20: New Hampshire Wildcats
21: Montana State Bobcats
22: Furman Paladins
23: Richmond Spiders
24: North Dakota
25: Wofford Terriers

  1. A New No. 1.  I'd been wanting to upgrade James Madison ever since I saw them dominate Lehigh in Week 2.  But their resume was incomplete, especially given the fact that even their win over the Mountain Hawks meant... what, exactly?  With their impressive come-from-behind 54-51 win over SMU, however - a battle of equals, certainly - I took the plunge and put them at No. 1, above a Jacksonville State team and a Coastal Carolina team that wins, but doesn't win in dominating fashion.  The team I've seen from JMU seems like it's going to be awfully hard to beat this season, especially with a team like Villanova falling back to reality.
  2. Missouri Valley 4-7.  No question they're all really, really strong Missouri Valley Football Conference teams, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, and Illinois State.  But how good?  Northern Iowa probably had the toughest overall schedule, with an FBS game versus Iowa and two FCS games versus two of the best schools the Big Sky has to offer, Eastern Washington and Cal Poly (including a win on the road).  But South Dakota State has that FBS win against Kansas, North Dakota State is, well, North Dakota State, and Illinois State, despite a scrape vs. Eastern Illinois, is still a top team.  Soon we should see some separation, but until then, I felt comfortable lumping them all together at 4-7, seeing who will emerge.  One of these guys will probably end up at No. 1 or No. 2 eventually.  Hard to know which one, which is why it seems appropriate to bunch them all up.
  3. Wofford in at 25.  There were a lack of great options at the bottom of the rankings - I hate to put in the 6th or 7th best team in a conference in my Top 25 (adding 6th placed North Dakota to my Top 25 this week was like pulling teeth).  Richmond, the direct beneficiary of my dropping of Villanova out of my Top 25, is a deserved top team and finally got in there (and probably should have been there weeks ago).  Wofford, even at 2-2, seem like they could be a good candidate to make a move in this year's SoCon, and seem like a pretty good pick.  In past weeks I had 2-2 Samford in this spot as my sleeper team, but a resounding loss to No. 10 Chattanooga has since had them exit my poll.  So why not Wofford?  Sure, they're 2-2, but both losses were to FBS teams, including a near-upset of Idaho.  Though their wins against Tennessee Tech and Gardner-Webb might not be too sexy, it's not hard to see them take on both Chattanooga and Furman and beat them both down the line.  I thought I'd put them in my poll now, and wait and see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The Ivy League Is Able To Break the NCAA's Scholarship Limits and Still Consider Themselves FCS

By now you've seen the results.  In 2018, the Ivy League has taken the FCS by storm. Perhaps it was Penn's 30-10 defeat of Lehigh a couple of weeks ago .  Or maybe it was Princeton's 50-9 drubbing of another team that made the FCS Playoffs last year, Monmouth.  Or maybe it was Yale's shockingly dominant 35-14 win over nationally-ranked Maine last weekend. The Ivy League has gone an astounding 12-4 so far in out-of-conference play, many of those wins coming against the Patriot League. But it's not just against the Patriot League where the Ivy League has excelled.  Every Ivy League school has at least one out-of-conference victory, which is remarkable since it is only three games into their football season.  The four losses - Rhode Island over Harvard, Holy Cross over Yale, Delaware over Cornell, and Cal Poly over Brown - were either close losses that could have gone either way or expected blowouts of teams picked to be at the bottom of the Ivy League. W

Made-Up Midseason Grades for Lehigh Football

 We are now officially midway through the 2023 Lehigh football season.  The Mountain Hawks sit at 1-5 overall, and 0-1 in the Patriot League. I thought I'd go ahead and make up some midseason grades, and set some "fan goals" for the second half. The 2023 Mountain Hawks were picked to finish fifth in the seven team Patriot League.  In order to meet or exceed that expectation, they'll probably have to go at least 3-2 the rest of the way in conference play.  Their remaining games are vs. Georgetown, at Bucknell, vs. Holy Cross, at Colgate, and vs. Lafayette in The Rivalry. Can they do it? Culture Changing: B+ .  I was there in the Bronx last week after the tough 38-35 defeat to Fordham, and there wasn't a single player emerging from the locker room that looked like they didn't care.  Every face was glum.  They didn't even seem sad.  More frustrated and angry. That may seem normal, considering the agonizing way the Mountain Hawks lost, but it was a marked chan

Fifteen Guys Who Might be Lehigh's Next Football Coach (and Five More)

If you've been following my Twitter account, you might have caught some "possibilities" as Lehigh's next head football coach like Lou Holtz, Brett Favre and Bo Pelini .  The chance that any of those three guys actually are offered and accept the Lehigh head coaching position are somewhere between zero and zero.  (The full list of my Twitter "possibilities" are all on this thread on the Lehigh Sports Forum .) However the actual Lehigh head football coaching search is well underway, with real names and real possibilities. I've come up with a list of fifteen possible names, some which I've heard whispered as candidates, others which might be good fits at Lehigh for a variety of reasons. UPDATE: I have found five more names of possible head coaches that I am adding to this list below. Who are the twenty people?  Here they are, in alphabetical order.