Skip to main content

Press Links & Two Thoughts

The press links are below. Pretty they are not, but there they are if you're interested.

A couple thoughts for a Monday night, where I'm still a little stunned. The first is: college sports can never test your loyalties, since no matter what happens you're still always a fan of the school that is your alma mater. If the Eagles lose a heartbreaker to the Bears, I can always throw away my Donovan McNabb jersey and buy a Peyton Manning jersey and pretend I've been a "diehard" fan ever since the moving vans left Baltimore. But you don't throw away your Lehigh hat just because the team lays an egg. You're still Brown and White, and you still play every game in the season. And you always want to - maybe have to - beat Lafayette.

The other thought involves my players of the week, for which I'm still a bit stunned. I thought it would be fun to put up players of the week every week and have the fans vote on who should be the player of the week. Who could you possibly put up this week? The past three weeks I didn't put the poll up, since either the effort was so flat or there seemed to be too few people deserving of awards. And in the fourth week, I didn't put up any offensive players since the offense didn't score any touchdowns in the 20-13 win over Harvard.

No offensive players were deemed worthy of recognition for four straight weeks. That's unbelievable.

Morning Call: Holy Blowout!
Morning Call: Holy Cross' Emotion Burns Up Lehigh
Express-Times: Holy Cross Humiliates Lehigh
Worcester Telegram-Gazette: Harrison, Randolph Help HC Bury Lehigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The Ivy League Is Able To Break the NCAA's Scholarship Limits and Still Consider Themselves FCS

By now you've seen the results.  In 2018, the Ivy League has taken the FCS by storm. Perhaps it was Penn's 30-10 defeat of Lehigh a couple of weeks ago .  Or maybe it was Princeton's 50-9 drubbing of another team that made the FCS Playoffs last year, Monmouth.  Or maybe it was Yale's shockingly dominant 35-14 win over nationally-ranked Maine last weekend. The Ivy League has gone an astounding 12-4 so far in out-of-conference play, many of those wins coming against the Patriot League. But it's not just against the Patriot League where the Ivy League has excelled.  Every Ivy League school has at least one out-of-conference victory, which is remarkable since it is only three games into their football season.  The four losses - Rhode Island over Harvard, Holy Cross over Yale, Delaware over Cornell, and Cal Poly over Brown - were either close losses that could have gone either way or expected blowouts of teams picked to be at the bottom of the Ivy League....

Merrimack at Lehigh Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction, 9/28/2019

It's what we do every week: copiously go over the opposing game notes and analyze the upcoming game matchup.  I'm starting to call these the "football nerd" previews because it feels like the audience for these detailed team breakdowns are other football nerds like myself.  For Lehigh fans, there is no greater need for a "football nerd"-level breakdown of an opponent than Merrimack.  Few opponents have been as big as an unknown to Mountain Hawk fans as the school that formed right after World War II in North Andover, Massachusetts.  Helping that sense of mystery is that the Merrimack Athletics' website offers no football game notes, and when you click on the link called "Weekly Two-Deep", you get a two-deep from 2018. Merrimack, until recently a member of the Northeast-10 conference in Division II, announced they are going to join the NEC as a full Division I member in time for the 2023-2024 season. “The College’s 2011 strategic ...

Fifteen Guys Who Might be Lehigh's Next Football Coach (and Five More)

If you've been following my Twitter account, you might have caught some "possibilities" as Lehigh's next head football coach like Lou Holtz, Brett Favre and Bo Pelini .  The chance that any of those three guys actually are offered and accept the Lehigh head coaching position are somewhere between zero and zero.  (The full list of my Twitter "possibilities" are all on this thread on the Lehigh Sports Forum .) However the actual Lehigh head football coaching search is well underway, with real names and real possibilities. I've come up with a list of fifteen possible names, some which I've heard whispered as candidates, others which might be good fits at Lehigh for a variety of reasons. UPDATE: I have found five more names of possible head coaches that I am adding to this list below. Who are the twenty people?  Here they are, in alphabetical order.