Skip to main content

Hoping in 2021, the "Hope of the Next Game" Returns for Lehigh and Patriot League Football

What does a guy who covers the Patriot League do when there's no Patriot League events to cover?

In ordinary years, this would be a rhetorical question.  Ordinarily, I would be pushing out pieces about Lehigh football, Patriot League sports, or perhaps previews on College Sports Journal, which I operate.  From early May through early January, during an ordinary year I am covering Lehigh football best I can while also coordinating writers that make excellent content on primarily G5 and FCS schools.

In this hellish COVID year of 2020, the "what do you do now?" question became something I actually had to ask myself.  

2020 for everyone on the planet has been a harrowing experience.  But I fully acknowledge and understand that me and my family have navigated this landscape probably the best we could, and we are damned lucky.  We've had family members who have had COVID, but the older members of our family clan, including my wife's 91 year old grandmother, have been safe.  You can talk precautions, but a lot of it is just luck.  In that sense, we've been lucky, and I understand that.

So I've hesitated for months to try to write something about the loss of Lehigh sports for me, and what it's meant.  It hasn't felt right to try to talk about that when someone reading this might have an permanently empty chair at the dinner table.

But the pause on Lehigh sports has had an effect on me.  Looking forward to the next game, the next Rivalry meeting in a bunch of sports, is what hope is.  When games can't be contested, hope is lost for a lot of people.  I understand this in a visceral way.

In order to understand why this was a very big deal for me, you have to understand that I have been writing about Lehigh football and Patriot League sports for a very long time.  Since the late 1990s, where I came up with my first little-trafficked website focused on Lehigh football, to 2002, when I started printing out articles from The Morning Call in a effort to research a book about that season, to 2003, where I registered this blog address and started writing about Lehigh football, I've been cranking out Lehigh football content every year since.

It made for a rough 2020.  It's not good for mental health - mine, or anyone else's.  You want to be able to lift people up, make them perhaps not think about the weighty problems of the year, and distract them with an analysis of a meaningful, upcoming matchup.  But that wasn't meant to be this year. 

At times, Lehigh Athletics rebroadcasted classic games, and they were a great distraction for me and other Lehigh fans.  It helped for a bit, and I enthusiastically followed every broadcast and added my running Twitter commentary on each game.  They were a load of fun, and made me forget for a couple of hours that I was still at home, that it still might not have been totally safe to go out.

But the agonizing uncertainty on "when normalcy will return" in the form of the pace and cadence of Lehigh athletic activities were deeply affecting.  You don't think simple things like catching a practice and trying to figure out the two-deep are good for the mental health, but they are, especially if it's the sort of thing you've done every year, at about the same time.  Their absence gets replaced by doomscrolling.  It's bad karma.

At the end of the year, I was gloomy.  It felt like I somehow didn't do enough.  I felt like my writing had gone to crap.  Where was that manuscript I was going to write?  Was I making sourdough bread when I should have been doing more journalism?  Did I do enough on recruiting?  

But that was just COVID talking.  When I looked through what I wrote, I became immensely proud of the quality of many of the things I did write about.  It was just different.

One piece I did involved Patriot League Executive Director Jennifer Heppel discussing the decision to cancel the spring 2020 season and postpone fall 2020 sports.  It was a good historical record on what happened in those chaotic days in mid-March, as the Patriot League men's final was going on.

Another involved the opinion that we shouldn't restart college sports in the fall.  It wasn't a perfect take all around, I admit, but it still feels for the most part on the nose.

After binging on two film renditions of the Ronald Dahl book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I wrote a piece talking about how pure imagination fueled both Willy Wonka and the schools of the NCAA as well.  It's aged well, I think.

In June, as the Patriot League presidents set their parameters for the reopening of fall competition, I got on the phone again with the executive director of the Patriot League and talked to her about how the Patriot League Presidents came to their conclusions.  I think it is critical to understanding what is motivated the schools of the Patriot League to do what they did.  Unlike other conferences, where the athletic directors tell the presidents what to do, the Presidents words are extremely important, and are what generally moves the bus in the league.

When the Presidents of the Patriot League officially postponed the fall sports season, I wrote a piece about what the loss means to the Lehigh community"More than Broadway or the NFL or Major League Baseball, it is the quiet, less publicized decisions like the IronPigs not playing baseball that are the single most underreported story in the country right now. It is not industry – professional gambling and big money professional sports – that is the real story. It is the Lehigh Valleys of this world that have lost the little things that make life a bit less terrible in the summer."

When Central Arkansas and Southeast Missouri State decided to proceed with the "FCS Kickoff Classic", despite the risks, I wrote a deep dive into the many actors and layers that it took for that game to be contested.  I think it ended up being a very good indication for the calculus, and reasons, for why college football games happened at all this year - it was simply the first.

Lehigh's challenges this fall were great, but I did catch up with head coach Tom Gilmore and asked him about how he was approaching this fall like no other.  “We have no other choice but to fight through this in order to improve and get tougher, rather than dwell on our disappointment,” he told me. “This has and will continue to test our discipline with the virus looming in our environment, but his is also an opportunity to find new ways to improve physically, mentally and emotionally.  We have been pushing through the challenges to find the best ways to accomplish our work and to investigate ways to improve now and in the future.”

And around the anniversary when the 156th meeting of The Rivalry was to be played, I wrote a piece talking about the agonizing limbo Lehigh players, coaches, administrators and fans found themselves this November.

I look back at all of these pieces with a lot of pride.  You may not like them, you may not agree with my opinion on some or all of it, the Pulitzers probably won't be contacting me about any awards about them, but I feel like they were some of the best pieces I've ever written.  I think the final one, about the people around The Rivalry, really captured the complicated legacy of what it meant to Lehigh and Lafayette people.

"You can debate as to whether any games should be played or not – but a moment should be spared thinking about the athletes who were asked to put on hold what they love to do, just to have other schools continue to play in spite of the clear risks of doing so.

"In the entire process, nowhere has any thought, or any consideration, been made for these athletes -literally tens of thousands of them – on the sidelines in the fall of 2020, who have been robbed a normal season by COVID-19 and then kicked in the teeth by the NCAA, school presidents, and administrators at some schools who allowed and decided that getting money from TV contracts or something was more important that their health and safety of their own communities, the quality of play, and the health and safety of their own players."

Like most things in 2020, there was a tinge of bitterness in my writing, because I was unhappy with what the chaos that was college football in 2020 brought us.  What I hope most of all is that 2021 will see my writing lose that bitter edge, and get back to what it should be - the hope of the next game.




Comments

Daffy said…
One wants to assume that the Presidents/Athletic Directors made decisions based upon what is best overall for student athletes. The choices were tough and the outcomes may not be known for years as the full effects of the virus become known. The experience of several athletic teams show that with certain precautions, life can go on fairly normally. Other team experiences show that acting responsibly is a difficult task which is often not successfully accomplished. I look forward to the upcoming BBall season showing tht Patriot League athletes are up to the task.

Changing course, I am surprised, but really not surprised, that FBS schools have not profited from FCS's experience with playoffs. The FCS finally seems to have a system that works. It is money of course that corrupts the system.

Just think, in less than 24 hours Lehigh will again defeat Lafayette. That should help overshadow some bad memories from last year.
Anonymous said…
Excited for tomorrow, finally! Hearing great things about some of the younger players coming in, let's see how they perform. Also seeing the new QB Wilkinson, very high hopes for this talent for a position that has struggled the last 3 seasons. Recruiting is picking up, need to be patient for sure.
Anonymous said…
Tough game today! Defense looked good, very promising group. Need to stick with CW at QB, clearly the best option we have from a skill perspective, just needs reps and playing time. Let him develop. O-line will improve, have to in order to help this anemic offense.
It will come, optimistic somewhat :)
Amparo Brown said…
­N­o­w­ I a­m w­a­t­c­h­i­n­g N­FL, N­CAA & all other spo­rts online via nflfoxhd . com website !!!, It’s the best TV this year. Try to find but I think you can find this webs­ite by Google.

.
RISAK said…



I can see that NFL Free online Stream on => ­ NFLFOXHD and I think it's the best place to watch NFL this year , check by yourself if you don't believe.

Free TRIAL Here => NFLFOXHD .COM

Amparo Brown said…



I can see that NFL Free online Stream on => ­ NFLFOXHD and I think it's the best place to watch NFL this year , check by yourself if you don't believe.

Free TRIAL Here => NFLFOXHD .COM
Jerry Frazier said…


It's so good to see that, this year i'll also using ­­ ­nflhdplay. com to watching that.

LIVE Here => NFLHDPLAY.COM

N F L H D P L A Y.C O M
N F L H D P L A Y.C O M
NFLHDPLAY
NFLHDPLAY .COM
NFLHDPLAY. COM
nflhdplay. com
nflhdplay
n f l h d p l a y. c o m
nflhdplay. com

Popular posts from this blog

How The Ivy League Is Able To Break the NCAA's Scholarship Limits and Still Consider Themselves FCS

By now you've seen the results.  In 2018, the Ivy League has taken the FCS by storm. Perhaps it was Penn's 30-10 defeat of Lehigh a couple of weeks ago .  Or maybe it was Princeton's 50-9 drubbing of another team that made the FCS Playoffs last year, Monmouth.  Or maybe it was Yale's shockingly dominant 35-14 win over nationally-ranked Maine last weekend. The Ivy League has gone an astounding 12-4 so far in out-of-conference play, many of those wins coming against the Patriot League. But it's not just against the Patriot League where the Ivy League has excelled.  Every Ivy League school has at least one out-of-conference victory, which is remarkable since it is only three games into their football season.  The four losses - Rhode Island over Harvard, Holy Cross over Yale, Delaware over Cornell, and Cal Poly over Brown - were either close losses that could have gone either way or expected blowouts of teams picked to be at the bottom of the Ivy League. W

Made-Up Midseason Grades for Lehigh Football

 We are now officially midway through the 2023 Lehigh football season.  The Mountain Hawks sit at 1-5 overall, and 0-1 in the Patriot League. I thought I'd go ahead and make up some midseason grades, and set some "fan goals" for the second half. The 2023 Mountain Hawks were picked to finish fifth in the seven team Patriot League.  In order to meet or exceed that expectation, they'll probably have to go at least 3-2 the rest of the way in conference play.  Their remaining games are vs. Georgetown, at Bucknell, vs. Holy Cross, at Colgate, and vs. Lafayette in The Rivalry. Can they do it? Culture Changing: B+ .  I was there in the Bronx last week after the tough 38-35 defeat to Fordham, and there wasn't a single player emerging from the locker room that looked like they didn't care.  Every face was glum.  They didn't even seem sad.  More frustrated and angry. That may seem normal, considering the agonizing way the Mountain Hawks lost, but it was a marked chan

Fifteen Guys Who Might be Lehigh's Next Football Coach (and Five More)

If you've been following my Twitter account, you might have caught some "possibilities" as Lehigh's next head football coach like Lou Holtz, Brett Favre and Bo Pelini .  The chance that any of those three guys actually are offered and accept the Lehigh head coaching position are somewhere between zero and zero.  (The full list of my Twitter "possibilities" are all on this thread on the Lehigh Sports Forum .) However the actual Lehigh head football coaching search is well underway, with real names and real possibilities. I've come up with a list of fifteen possible names, some which I've heard whispered as candidates, others which might be good fits at Lehigh for a variety of reasons. UPDATE: I have found five more names of possible head coaches that I am adding to this list below. Who are the twenty people?  Here they are, in alphabetical order.