I can think of no better place to start than in Lehigh's backyard. (more)
- WR/RS Danny Wilk was recently interviewed by Andre Williams of the Morning Call, where he lists Lehigh as among his choices. At Nazaerth, Wilkes caught 43 passes for 439 yards and added a 32.6 yard average returning kickoffs, including 2 for touchdowns. "I want to play football. I'm looking at Penn, Lehigh, Dartmouth, Colgate and Bucknell," he said in the interview. It certainly sounds like he could get in the mix after senior DB/RS John "Prez" Kennedy graduates next year.
- QB/ATH Raphael Ortiz, recent Hudson County Player of the Year, threw for 1,620 yards and 18 touchdowns in his senior campaign at St. Peter's prep. His junior year, he tore the meniscus in his knee, which may have scared some FBS schools off his scent. He lists Lehigh and Lafayette as possible destinations, as well as "talking to" William & Mary, FBS Virginia and FBS Duke.
- Speaking of "Players of the Year", West Jersey Player of the Year RB Ian Gaines is also on Lehigh's radar screen - a surprise, since Gaines only played RB for the first time this season. "It was the first time I've played running back," Gaines said. "I had run sweeps as a wideout, but this was different. I had to learn to trust the blocks and not try to do it all myself." It was still good enough for 887 yards and 8 TDs, as well as 17 passes out of the backfield for 276 yards. In the article, is states that Penn, Princeton, FBS Duke and FBS Vanderbilt are also on the trail.
- Out of the Pennsylvania/New Jersey area, RB Earl Hunt out of Traveler's Rest, SC is listed on ESPN's recruiting site as having interest in the Mountain Hawks. A 5'7 back right out of the Ron Jean mold, while ESPN criticizes him for not having the "speed" for the "major level of competition" (sorry, I'd gladly take a RB that runs a 4.7 40), he was a productive runner in the Palmetto State with 1,220 yards rushing and 10 TDs his junior year. Furman is also listed as interested.
- Another local product, QB/ATH Drew Loughery, has also listed Lehigh as being interested (as well as UMass). Listed at Southeast Pennsylvania's Player of the Year, the Plymouth Meeting, PA native Loughery led his team to a 23-4 record in a two-year span, including a Catholic League championship last year. For his career, the two-time captain passed 355-for-618 (57.4 percent) for 5,355 yards and 50 TDs. While listed at 6'1 205, he's not the prototypical QB height but has a "strong arm" and seems to relish the QB role on the team. " When 'Lock' gets under center, you know you're going to get the points you need to get to win," teammate LB Ryan Sarceni said of Loughery.
- Finally, a confirmed commit from Florida: WR/DB Ryan Burke, who reportedly went to Lehigh over Princeton and others. He's a tough kid, who played his senior year for Cardinal Newman on a broken foot but still managed 263 yards and 2 TDs. At 6'2, 187 lbs, Lehigh continues to stockpile tall wideouts/defensive backs - looks promising.