Skip to main content

Patriot League Picks, Week One

Since we're all sitting here waiting for the Lehigh football season to start (and waiting for my Patriot League part of the FCS Preview to come out), I though I'd post my picks for Week One of the Patriot League Season. Some of these are cross-posted in my FCS Way column for Week One , but I intend to add any extra "Fearless Patriot League Picks" to the blog every week as well for fun.

To explain how I do picks, I quote my College Sporting News column this week:

Know one thing about my football picks: some folks are scientific, some folks try to analyze punting statistics, and yet others try to make people feel good about their teams by picking “moral victories” or close games. That’s not how I operate. If I see a 70-0 blowout, I will call it a 70-0 blowout. That’s why I call my games “Fearless Picks”. Disagree with me if you must, but there is no fear in these picks.

The other part of my schtick involves the nicknames at the end when I pick the scores of the games. Please don’t take offense at my renaming your “RedHawks” the “ChickenHawks”. If you’re from the “RedHawk Preservation League” and you’re offended, please, just relax. It’s a football game, not the extinction of a species.

And finally, these picks are for pure entertainment purposes only. As a buddy of mine once said, “If you’re betting on [FCS] football, you need serious help. No, really.”


Enough talk. On with the picks!

Colgate over Albany. Until the incredible run of the NEC last year, nobody would probably think twice about picking this game. But Albany of the NEC, twice a giant-killer in 2006 (over Lehigh last year 17-16 and Delaware 17-13), has garnered newfound respect in the annals of FCS. Meanwhile, Colgate of the Patriot League struggled to an uncharacteristic 4-7 record last year, so this matchup is simply loaded with question marks. Are Colgate a force to be reckoned with this year? Is Albany really here to stay? I get the feeling that this time, the Raiders will get things going on the right foot, as Albany won’t be sneaking up on anybody this year. Refurbished Raiders 17, Almost-Dominant Danes 16.

Holy Cross over #8 UMass. I have absolutely no idea why, but folks around the country seem to have absolutely zero confidence in Holy Cross, despite the fact that they return nearly every piece of their offense from last year and pose a matchup problem for UMass, especially in the secondary. I love this pick. Crisp Crusaders 30, “Thirty-Minute-Men” 27.

Rhode Island over Fordham. Why do so many folks think that Rhode Island is so bad, and Fordham is so great this year? Last I checked, Fordham was struggling to score against anybody in 2006, and although Rhode Island didn't tear up the yard they also weren't terrible either to teams not named New Hampshire. This game will be surprisingly uncompetitive for most people, but not for me. Rhody Rams 38, Also Rams 7.

Lafayette over Marist. The only thing keeping from this being a super-sized blowout is the fact that Lafayette will be auditioning QBs during the whole game. Add to that the fact that Lafayette are notoriously slow starters and you will have a low scoring affair that may end with more questions than answers. Leaping Leopards 24, Redd Foxes 10.

Stony Brook over Georgetown. As much as I'd love to see the Hoyas take this game, they'll have to prove it to me before I really can believe it. And Stony Brook ain't that bad, either. Sea Cucumbers 27, Ho Ho Hoyas 13.

Bucknell over Duquesne. Even with the injury bug keeping some good kids out (like sophomore LB Sam Nana-Sinkam), there should be plenty of talent left to handle the Dukes. The real question is who the starting QB will be: my vote goes to Marcelo Trigg. Bisonators 35, Dunkin' Dukies 17.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The Ivy League Is Able To Break the NCAA's Scholarship Limits and Still Consider Themselves FCS

By now you've seen the results.  In 2018, the Ivy League has taken the FCS by storm. Perhaps it was Penn's 30-10 defeat of Lehigh a couple of weeks ago .  Or maybe it was Princeton's 50-9 drubbing of another team that made the FCS Playoffs last year, Monmouth.  Or maybe it was Yale's shockingly dominant 35-14 win over nationally-ranked Maine last weekend. The Ivy League has gone an astounding 12-4 so far in out-of-conference play, many of those wins coming against the Patriot League. But it's not just against the Patriot League where the Ivy League has excelled.  Every Ivy League school has at least one out-of-conference victory, which is remarkable since it is only three games into their football season.  The four losses - Rhode Island over Harvard, Holy Cross over Yale, Delaware over Cornell, and Cal Poly over Brown - were either close losses that could have gone either way or expected blowouts of teams picked to be at the bottom of the Ivy League. W

Made-Up Midseason Grades for Lehigh Football

 We are now officially midway through the 2023 Lehigh football season.  The Mountain Hawks sit at 1-5 overall, and 0-1 in the Patriot League. I thought I'd go ahead and make up some midseason grades, and set some "fan goals" for the second half. The 2023 Mountain Hawks were picked to finish fifth in the seven team Patriot League.  In order to meet or exceed that expectation, they'll probably have to go at least 3-2 the rest of the way in conference play.  Their remaining games are vs. Georgetown, at Bucknell, vs. Holy Cross, at Colgate, and vs. Lafayette in The Rivalry. Can they do it? Culture Changing: B+ .  I was there in the Bronx last week after the tough 38-35 defeat to Fordham, and there wasn't a single player emerging from the locker room that looked like they didn't care.  Every face was glum.  They didn't even seem sad.  More frustrated and angry. That may seem normal, considering the agonizing way the Mountain Hawks lost, but it was a marked chan

Fifteen Guys Who Might be Lehigh's Next Football Coach (and Five More)

If you've been following my Twitter account, you might have caught some "possibilities" as Lehigh's next head football coach like Lou Holtz, Brett Favre and Bo Pelini .  The chance that any of those three guys actually are offered and accept the Lehigh head coaching position are somewhere between zero and zero.  (The full list of my Twitter "possibilities" are all on this thread on the Lehigh Sports Forum .) However the actual Lehigh head football coaching search is well underway, with real names and real possibilities. I've come up with a list of fifteen possible names, some which I've heard whispered as candidates, others which might be good fits at Lehigh for a variety of reasons. UPDATE: I have found five more names of possible head coaches that I am adding to this list below. Who are the twenty people?  Here they are, in alphabetical order.