Skip to main content

New Poll; Garner's Back; Game Balls; My Picks

Lots to cover. First of all, a brand-spankin' new poll on your right. Vote away.

Second of all, the guy who greatly inspired my I-AA diary column on I-AA.org... Scott Garner... is back. Best of all, he chastises me for putting Georgia Southern at #8 in the "Top Fans of I-AA" list! (I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't put up a spirited defense of "Gus", Georgia Southern's mascot.)

Game Balls
It was awfully tough to give the game balls out since the win seemed to be a complete team effort in all phases. Nonetheless, your intrepid reporter did manage to suffer through and pick worthy candidates for this honor.

On offense, I'm going to give it to the senior WR Kevin Zebluim. His twisting catch when Lehigh was down 17-14 (which should have been called a TD) was the play of the game, as after Eric "TNT" Rath punched the ball in on the next play, Lehigh went ahead 24-17 and would never reliquish the lead. The next TD drive was all Borda and Zebluim as he would get 29 yards (and this time, the TD). It was tempting to give it to Borda, or "TNT" Rath, or even senior WR Winfred Porter for his 91 yard TD scamper. But Zebluim made the diference when it counted, and he gets my game ball.

On defense, for me it's senior LB Anthony "Graz" Graziani. It was awful tempting to give it to senior DT Royce Morgan (with 7 tackes and 1 1/2 sacks), or junior SS Julian Austin (12 tackles and 1 INT, and he is impressing me every week). But watching the game on TV, "Graz" just had presence throughout the entire game. He was credited with "only" 6 tackles, 1 1/2 sacks, and 2 huge interceptions - one to squash an important Crimson 1st quarter drive, and the other to set up Zebluim's score to make it a 3-score game. But every play Crimson players appeared to be hearing his footsteps. He is clearly the leader out there of a superb team defense, and he gets the not this week as a result.

Special teams I'll give 3 nods, since I can't decide who deserves it more. Game balls for senior WR Gregg Petrosky, senior WR Gerran "G" Walker, and freshman P John Leo. It was very hard to judge this, since both Petrosky and "G" had electrifying returns that simply wore down the Crimson, combining for 153 return yards. But Leo's 3 punts were just as important, making the field position battle an uphill one for Harvard. You could almost give a game ball to the entire special teams unit for their inspired play, but this week, it's this trio that will get the nods. Congratulations!

My Weekend Picks
Finally, a 4-1 in Patriot play and an 11-6 in the Top 25 put me at a decidedly mediocre 15-7 overall. I am kicking myself big-time over two of the Top 25 losses that I didn't have the courage to pick. See below.

Really right: Lehigh 49, Harvard 24. Most were taking Lehigh in a nail-biter, but I got the margin of victory perfect in this clash. My prediction was Lehigh 35, Harvard 10 - a 25 point win. Perfect.

Should have been right: (tie) The Citadel 17, Western Carolina 7; Chattanooga 25, Wofford 13. On both of these freakin' games I said I wanted desperately to take 2 weak SoCon teams to upset 2 overrated SoCon teams. In *both* I didn't have the courage. Had I had some guts, that would have put me at 13-4 and sitting pretty.

Was I ever wrong!: New Hampshire 45, Villanova 17. Now I know 'Nova's a pretty good team. I knew that already. What I didn't know is how dominating UNH has been and how tough they will be to dislodge from the top spot. I hope the I-AA playoff committee likes games up in Durham, NH in little Cowell Stadium in December, because it's awfully hard to see who's going to knock them out.

Tomorrow: Your Lehigh/Holy Cross preview. I will be at the game this weekend doing a I-AA diary as well for I-AA>org, for those who don't know!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can't really complain about the game balls. While this was a very good win, there was still some troubling aspects that the coaches need to tighten. The most troubling is the play of the secondary. Some very poor tackling. Why do players just throw their bodies at the runner. The lack of sticking the shoulder and wrapping up resulted in some good yardage by Crimson runners. Secondly, not playing the ball or at least turning one's head to the ball. Simply running into the receiver with back to the QB will be called interference everytime. I know the secondary has been banged up and some youngsters are getting alot of time, but the season is almost half over and these mistakes need to stop.

--Ngineer

Popular posts from this blog

How The Ivy League Is Able To Break the NCAA's Scholarship Limits and Still Consider Themselves FCS

By now you've seen the results.  In 2018, the Ivy League has taken the FCS by storm. Perhaps it was Penn's 30-10 defeat of Lehigh a couple of weeks ago .  Or maybe it was Princeton's 50-9 drubbing of another team that made the FCS Playoffs last year, Monmouth.  Or maybe it was Yale's shockingly dominant 35-14 win over nationally-ranked Maine last weekend. The Ivy League has gone an astounding 12-4 so far in out-of-conference play, many of those wins coming against the Patriot League. But it's not just against the Patriot League where the Ivy League has excelled.  Every Ivy League school has at least one out-of-conference victory, which is remarkable since it is only three games into their football season.  The four losses - Rhode Island over Harvard, Holy Cross over Yale, Delaware over Cornell, and Cal Poly over Brown - were either close losses that could have gone either way or expected blowouts of teams picked to be at the bottom of the Ivy League. W

Made-Up Midseason Grades for Lehigh Football

 We are now officially midway through the 2023 Lehigh football season.  The Mountain Hawks sit at 1-5 overall, and 0-1 in the Patriot League. I thought I'd go ahead and make up some midseason grades, and set some "fan goals" for the second half. The 2023 Mountain Hawks were picked to finish fifth in the seven team Patriot League.  In order to meet or exceed that expectation, they'll probably have to go at least 3-2 the rest of the way in conference play.  Their remaining games are vs. Georgetown, at Bucknell, vs. Holy Cross, at Colgate, and vs. Lafayette in The Rivalry. Can they do it? Culture Changing: B+ .  I was there in the Bronx last week after the tough 38-35 defeat to Fordham, and there wasn't a single player emerging from the locker room that looked like they didn't care.  Every face was glum.  They didn't even seem sad.  More frustrated and angry. That may seem normal, considering the agonizing way the Mountain Hawks lost, but it was a marked chan

Fifteen Guys Who Might be Lehigh's Next Football Coach (and Five More)

If you've been following my Twitter account, you might have caught some "possibilities" as Lehigh's next head football coach like Lou Holtz, Brett Favre and Bo Pelini .  The chance that any of those three guys actually are offered and accept the Lehigh head coaching position are somewhere between zero and zero.  (The full list of my Twitter "possibilities" are all on this thread on the Lehigh Sports Forum .) However the actual Lehigh head football coaching search is well underway, with real names and real possibilities. I've come up with a list of fifteen possible names, some which I've heard whispered as candidates, others which might be good fits at Lehigh for a variety of reasons. UPDATE: I have found five more names of possible head coaches that I am adding to this list below. Who are the twenty people?  Here they are, in alphabetical order.