Skip to main content

Patriot League Media Day 2011, Part Four: Groomed For Success

(Photo Credit: Jim Middlekauff/The Express-Times)

When you talk to senior LB Mike Groome, you know you're going to get straightforward answers.

Groome's straightforward talking style extends to the football field, where the Byram, NJ native jumped into a defensive starting role with both feet to have one of the best defensive statistical seasons in recent memory: 131 tackles, including 73 solo tackles and seven tackles for loss.

The senior linebacker who wasn't even anointed the starting linebacker in preseason camp last year ended up being a big reason for Lehigh's turnaround in 2010. And in 2011, as defensive captain, he hopes to maintain the high bar he and his teammates set with last year's spectacular season. (more)


"My expectations for myself is to have another productive year and lead our team to another Patriot League Championship," he told me. "Personally I'm focusing on eliminating mental errors and being able to help the underclassmen develop mentally."

"For lack of a better word, Mike Groome described the offseason for the Lehigh football program as being really 'weird.', Groome told Keith Groller of the Morning Call.

"In my time here we had always been coming off 5-6 and 4-7 seasons," he said. "So, to look back and think that we were 10-3 and league champions last year, it just felt really weird. Different. It's a nice feeling, but we know it means nothing now."

He continued:

Groome said the hunger is still there for the program because while they won 10 games, they were outclassed three times by scholarship-giving Colonial Athletic Association schools in Villanova, New Hampshire and Delaware.

Lehigh was outscored 108-30 in those games.

"Those games showed there's still room for improvement because we really struggled," he added. "You always have a place on your shelf for next season when you lose to someone. We don't play Villanova or Delaware this season, but we play New Hampshire and that's a big game for us."

Groome, an All-American last season, has been piling up preseason awards, making his way on a multitude of all-Star teams, including appearances on CFPA's watch list, the Sports Network second team All-American list, Phil Steele Magazine's All-Patriot League first team, and the College Sporting News' second team.

As preseason Patriot League player of the year, he delivered a short speech in front of the assembled media. "It’s a great honor," said Mike. “I’m very happy to have that bestowed upon me, but it’s more of a reflection upon what I did last year. I haven’t done anything yet this year, but I’d rather have that recognition at the end of the year.”

"Going into this season, I think you take everything from last season through the year and you dwell on it a little bit here and there, but not too much," Groome added to Michael LoRe of the Express-Times.

There's something else Mike did this summer, aside from his summer job, of course. In a report from Lehigh Athletics, it was reported that Groome spent the month of June donating stem cells in hopes of saving a life.

“I’ve actually been contacted every year I’ve been a part of the program,” Groome explains. “I’ve always gone through the blood work, but this year I was called to actually go into New York and get more extensive tests. I had to make sure the timeframe was right, and once I reached the end of the school year I decided to do it over the summer.”

After further testing, Groome was cleared to proceed with the stem cell donation process, which took place at New York’s Mount Sinai Medical Center in June. His decision to go forward with the process came with wide levels of support from the Lehigh football program.

“I was proud of Mike when he said he had been chosen and was going to be a donor,” explained Coen. “Here you have an All-America caliber athlete who was very excited to help save someone's life which he had no connection with at all. This speaks volumes for how Mike was raised and what type of person he is. Mike has developed into a very fine player on the field and it is great to see that he also understands the bigger role he can play in the game of life.”

The entire article is a must-read, detailing the work involved and the entire process he went through. It says volumes about the type of guy he is - it takes a tough guy to go through that process, no matter what he says.

Like LB Al Pierce before him, Mike seems like the quintessential quiet leader, with the toughness lurking behind the somewhat soft-spoken words.

"My leadership style I believe is that of leading by example," he told me. "I'm not the most vocal leader but when I'm on the field I definitely express myself."

So what does Mike do to get himself ready for games?

"I do have some pregame rituals, such as listening to the same music every game," he told me. "I know exactly what song I will be hearing, for example, when I'm stepping off the bus. I like to mentally pump myself up."

Seeing him at Patriot League media day, it was pretty clear that he didn't need a lot of pumping up. If a game of football broke out on the greens at the Green Pond Country Club, I'm almost sure he'd have been in the middle of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The Ivy League Is Able To Break the NCAA's Scholarship Limits and Still Consider Themselves FCS

By now you've seen the results.  In 2018, the Ivy League has taken the FCS by storm. Perhaps it was Penn's 30-10 defeat of Lehigh a couple of weeks ago .  Or maybe it was Princeton's 50-9 drubbing of another team that made the FCS Playoffs last year, Monmouth.  Or maybe it was Yale's shockingly dominant 35-14 win over nationally-ranked Maine last weekend. The Ivy League has gone an astounding 12-4 so far in out-of-conference play, many of those wins coming against the Patriot League. But it's not just against the Patriot League where the Ivy League has excelled.  Every Ivy League school has at least one out-of-conference victory, which is remarkable since it is only three games into their football season.  The four losses - Rhode Island over Harvard, Holy Cross over Yale, Delaware over Cornell, and Cal Poly over Brown - were either close losses that could have gone either way or expected blowouts of teams picked to be at the bottom of the Ivy League. W

Made-Up Midseason Grades for Lehigh Football

 We are now officially midway through the 2023 Lehigh football season.  The Mountain Hawks sit at 1-5 overall, and 0-1 in the Patriot League. I thought I'd go ahead and make up some midseason grades, and set some "fan goals" for the second half. The 2023 Mountain Hawks were picked to finish fifth in the seven team Patriot League.  In order to meet or exceed that expectation, they'll probably have to go at least 3-2 the rest of the way in conference play.  Their remaining games are vs. Georgetown, at Bucknell, vs. Holy Cross, at Colgate, and vs. Lafayette in The Rivalry. Can they do it? Culture Changing: B+ .  I was there in the Bronx last week after the tough 38-35 defeat to Fordham, and there wasn't a single player emerging from the locker room that looked like they didn't care.  Every face was glum.  They didn't even seem sad.  More frustrated and angry. That may seem normal, considering the agonizing way the Mountain Hawks lost, but it was a marked chan

Fifteen Guys Who Might be Lehigh's Next Football Coach (and Five More)

If you've been following my Twitter account, you might have caught some "possibilities" as Lehigh's next head football coach like Lou Holtz, Brett Favre and Bo Pelini .  The chance that any of those three guys actually are offered and accept the Lehigh head coaching position are somewhere between zero and zero.  (The full list of my Twitter "possibilities" are all on this thread on the Lehigh Sports Forum .) However the actual Lehigh head football coaching search is well underway, with real names and real possibilities. I've come up with a list of fifteen possible names, some which I've heard whispered as candidates, others which might be good fits at Lehigh for a variety of reasons. UPDATE: I have found five more names of possible head coaches that I am adding to this list below. Who are the twenty people?  Here they are, in alphabetical order.