So we lost 23-7 to one of the best football teams in the nation. So how did this game define Lehigh?
In my opinion, we're a team that is defined by:
- That one drive a game on offense when we can move the ball on anybody (Scoring drive: 8 plays, 58 yards - Sedale 1 yard TD run, 3-3 passing, good mix of run and pass).
- A defense that will not give up in their punishment. They smacked McLeod all day and did their level best to try to give Yale a pounding. Although McLeod got a lot of yards, it wasn't really due to major mistakes in tackling or anything. He had two touchdowns today: one on a long run, he got the blocks and showed his acceleration, and the other on a shorter run where we put eight in the box and McLeod showed his vision to pop to the outside and accelerate for the TD.
- A team that cannot convert 3rd downs. 4-for-12 today.
- A team that cannot get into the red zone, and is not all that efficient (50% today) when they get there.
- A team that has a good chance to win a field position-type game (41.6 yard punt average).
- A team that cannot get the running game going: 80 yards rushing. As a result, we are losing the battle of time of possession on a consistent basis.
- A team that can get decent pressure on opposing quarterbacks, and get a decent number of tackles for loss. That we got five of them against a team that runs as much as Yale did is a credit to the defense.
- A team who can move the ball within the 20s at times, but then - twice in this game - has turned over the ball in key spots with two crushing interceptions. The deflating feeling that happened when the interception was thrown at the goal line when Lehigh was in a position to go ahead or at least tie - a huge killer.
- A team who drops passes, one of which was a sure touchdown.
- A team who cannot dominate the line of scrimmage on offense. I couldn't count how many times our quarterback was flushed out of the pocket.
Fortunately, Lehigh has a chance to not be defined by this game offensively. They have a chance to be defined in next week's game versus Holy Cross.
Every game from now on may as well be a playoff game.