Skip to main content

Tackle ALS Fundraiser This Saturday

Only one thing could possibly cause me to delay the release of my 30-year anniversary team: it was the need to promote something important. (So important, I might add, that I'm kicking myself that I didn't report on this earlier.)

This Saturday (as reported in the Morning Call and on Keith Groller's Morning Call blog) will be the annual flag football ALS fundraiser at Northwestern Lehigh. In years past it has been to help out Brett Snyder ('00) after being diagnosed with ALS (or Lou Gerhig's disease) two years ago. But this year, all proceeds are going to Brett's new foundation Tackle ALS. His foundation "''educates and encourages others to spread awareness about this disease that affects all ages, and to support research aimed at early diagnosis and detection of ALS.''

The event this Saturday, July 28th (rain date is Sunday, July 29th) is at the Northwestern Lehigh football field (off of Route 309). From Interstate 78, take Route 100 North to the intersection of Rte. 309. Go on 309 North for one mile, and Northwestern Lehigh high school will be on your right. Gates open at 5PM, with the alumni flag football games going on at 6PM and 8PM. There is fun for the whole family there, including a moon bounce, face painting, a dunk tank and other activities. It's not just for Northwestern football alumni - it's really more of a summer fair where you can bring the whole family. Show up!

Before I forget, there is another fundraiser coming up for you golfers out there as well: the first annual Tackle ALS Golf outing on Monday, August 27th. It will be at the Blue Bell Country Club and will be $150 per person ($50 if you're only attending the banquet). Interested? Fill out this form and return it to the Fireside Grille in Ambler.

Keith Groller's Morning Call article had updates about Brett, and also Kody Fedorcha ('00), who is also a member of Tackle ALS's board of directors.

''The amount of love and compassion that the people of this area have shown me has been amazing,'' he said. ''The support makes me feel as though I just graduated from Northwestern last year, not in 1996. People want to know how I'm doing and they want to know how they can help. Sometimes, I have no idea who the people are. They just care. It's awesome to feel that kind of love and support.''

For those who want to know how he's doing, Snyder said: ''I'm doing well. I'm far from where I want to be. I am still looking for a full recovery and that's what I'm striving for and I'm still looking at all of the options with new drug trials and so on. I'm fortunate that this is progressing very slowly and I am able to live a pretty normal life right now.''

Snyder was married to the former Carissa Seng last Dec. 28 and since she is a counselor at Northwestern, he's able to keep close tabs on the current Tigers. They now live in Macungie, near his pal Fedorcha.

''I'd do anything and everything to support Brett and Tackle ALS is something to rally around,'' Fedorcha said. ''When Brett was diagnosed with ALS, I was living in California. It made me realize what's really important in life is to be close to family and friends and it's one of the reasons why I moved home. Brett is like family to me. We became friends when we went through the recruiting process at Lehigh. The kind of player and teammate he was symbolizes all that's good in sports.

''The people who meet Brett for the first time will first recognize him for his accolades in football. After you meet him, you'll remember him for much more.''

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The Ivy League Is Able To Break the NCAA's Scholarship Limits and Still Consider Themselves FCS

By now you've seen the results.  In 2018, the Ivy League has taken the FCS by storm. Perhaps it was Penn's 30-10 defeat of Lehigh a couple of weeks ago .  Or maybe it was Princeton's 50-9 drubbing of another team that made the FCS Playoffs last year, Monmouth.  Or maybe it was Yale's shockingly dominant 35-14 win over nationally-ranked Maine last weekend. The Ivy League has gone an astounding 12-4 so far in out-of-conference play, many of those wins coming against the Patriot League. But it's not just against the Patriot League where the Ivy League has excelled.  Every Ivy League school has at least one out-of-conference victory, which is remarkable since it is only three games into their football season.  The four losses - Rhode Island over Harvard, Holy Cross over Yale, Delaware over Cornell, and Cal Poly over Brown - were either close losses that could have gone either way or expected blowouts of teams picked to be at the bottom of the Ivy League. W

Made-Up Midseason Grades for Lehigh Football

 We are now officially midway through the 2023 Lehigh football season.  The Mountain Hawks sit at 1-5 overall, and 0-1 in the Patriot League. I thought I'd go ahead and make up some midseason grades, and set some "fan goals" for the second half. The 2023 Mountain Hawks were picked to finish fifth in the seven team Patriot League.  In order to meet or exceed that expectation, they'll probably have to go at least 3-2 the rest of the way in conference play.  Their remaining games are vs. Georgetown, at Bucknell, vs. Holy Cross, at Colgate, and vs. Lafayette in The Rivalry. Can they do it? Culture Changing: B+ .  I was there in the Bronx last week after the tough 38-35 defeat to Fordham, and there wasn't a single player emerging from the locker room that looked like they didn't care.  Every face was glum.  They didn't even seem sad.  More frustrated and angry. That may seem normal, considering the agonizing way the Mountain Hawks lost, but it was a marked chan

Fifteen Guys Who Might be Lehigh's Next Football Coach (and Five More)

If you've been following my Twitter account, you might have caught some "possibilities" as Lehigh's next head football coach like Lou Holtz, Brett Favre and Bo Pelini .  The chance that any of those three guys actually are offered and accept the Lehigh head coaching position are somewhere between zero and zero.  (The full list of my Twitter "possibilities" are all on this thread on the Lehigh Sports Forum .) However the actual Lehigh head football coaching search is well underway, with real names and real possibilities. I've come up with a list of fifteen possible names, some which I've heard whispered as candidates, others which might be good fits at Lehigh for a variety of reasons. UPDATE: I have found five more names of possible head coaches that I am adding to this list below. Who are the twenty people?  Here they are, in alphabetical order.